Monday, January 23, 2006

Date: January 23, 2006
Weather: -32°C and Cloudy
Sunrise: 11:59
Sunset: 16:15

For the first time in memory the weather forecast shows a big yellow ball. The suggestion that we will experience sun in a significant way in the next few days seems sort of ridiculous. Yes we do, now, get some sun, but it seems hardly enough to justify a forecast of sunlight. We’ll see.

So I did talk about a “Pingo” a few days ago. What’s a Pingo you might ask? They sort of look like little volcanoes, don’t they? Well, in a way they sort of are. But instead of molten rock powering the little volcano, as you might expect in the north, the cold actually powers it. Essentially, the freeze thaw cycle affects a localized area of permafrost in a way that causes an uncharacteristic heave in the turf. There is less resistance on the top side of the phenomenon, so it heaves upwards, forming the structure that you saw in the pictures.

While pingos are fun to look at, they may also be useful. The Inuvialuit of Tuktoyaktuk have built meat preservation icehouses inside them. There was even a scheme to create a curling rink inside one. That hasn’t been done yet though. Innovation is alive and well!

I must be getting used to the cold. Walking home from work hardly hurts much at all anymore. One thing that I may never get used to though, is the static electricity. Every contact with metal results in a zap and a shriek, and an impulsive reaction to quickly withdraw my hand, sometimes with enough force that I punch myself!

While I have always found Lorie’s kisses to be truly electric, up here in the dry air, they are literally electric! I can’t tell you the number of times that an innocent peck has resulted in both of us recoiling in shock (literally), hand to our lips, and eyes wide in surprise.

I was curious to find out how much energy was behind these neat “little” zaps – these zaps that can even light up a dark room for an instant. So I searched through an endless assortment of boxes till I miraculously located my multi-meter. Then, it was on with a pair of wool socks, as I set about to scuffing around the living room in my socks. Rather than touching metal with my finger, I touched it with the meter probe. Turns out dry air and wool socks can generate about 20.8 volts. Yes, you read that right!

The static electricity is extreme. On the good days I approach any metallic object I must touch with the anticipation of a torture victim, wincing and steeling myself for the inevitable result. On the bad days, my fingers are numbed from the discharges. People who live here say that I will eventually get used to it. Somehow, I doubt it!

That’s all for now.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter