Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Date: February 1, 2006
Weather: -32°C and Clear
Sunrise: 11:18
Sunset: 16:59

I haven’t had much time these days for writing the Blog entries. I have been spending most of my evenings training to be a navigator for the Civil Air Search and Rescue Association (CASARA). This is a group of volunteers that trains to do aerial searches for people lost in bush. We’ll be doing a little flying this weekend as we get set to do our military certification in March, so the training has been a little intense lately. It’s a lot of fun, and a good way to serve the community too.

Back to the local culture…

Inuvialuit is one of the cultures here; Inuvialuit are basically the western arctic Inuit and they have their own language called Inuvialuktun. Here’s an example of an Inuvialuktun expression:

tuktuliaqatigitqingnapin'ngitkiga

That sure is a mouthful, huh? Here is basically how you would pronounce it (if anyone out there speaks Inuvialuktun, feel free to correct me!):

tuk-too-lee-ak-a-tee-git-king-nappin-ing-eet-key-jaw

And this is a very cursory English translation of the expression:

“I will never go caribou hunting with him again”

Pretty neat, huh? And no I didn’t figure out the translation myself, I got it out of a book.

Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Site Meter